Cargo, Adaptive and e-Bikes
Already very common across Europe; cargo bikes, adaptive bikes and e-bikes are now making a real impact in the UK. With the recent uptake in cycling, coupled with more investment in cycle infrastructure, the conditions are improving for all cycling modes and that includes cargo, adaptive and e-bikes.
This theme is echoed in two key documents; the Wheels for Wellbeing ‘Guide to Inclusive Cycling’ and the latest guide from Sustrans ‘Cycling for Everyone’. These guides cover a number of themes including creating infrastructure which suits non-standard bikes - adaptive, cargo, recumbent, tandem, tricycle, oversized, upright … all these have one thing in common, non-of them follow any standard bicycle silhouette.
One Size Fits All
So a key element of the design brief for the new FalcoPod bike hangar was inclusivity and to meet this need we have developed the FalcoPod-Cargo, a ‘naked’ Bike Hangar with locking points ideal for non-standard shaped bikes. The focus here was twofold; the additional space not only provides for a ‘one size fits all’ capacity which accommodates virtually all non-standard bike profiles e.g. with an upright seating position or a wide tandem, but also the addition of flexible locking bars on the hangar frame makes the FalcoPod much more compliant in terms of accommodating the diverse locking requirements of the adaptive family of bikes.
FalcoPod-Cargo - Sold Secure Gold Standard
The FalcoPod-Cargo bike hangar has undergone rigorous testing and meets the industry leading Sold Secure Bicycle Gold accreditation.
The FalcoPod-Cargo was awarded Sold Secure’s Gold grade for cycle products, having been put through its paces in a purpose-built laboratory and pushed beyond its expected limits against the rigorous SS104 specification.
Administered by the Master Locksmiths Association (MLA), Sold Secure carries out testing, evaluation and product certification from their purpose built UK test facility. Manufacturers can submit their products to Sold Secure who will try to defeat them using a wide range of different tools and techniques that are representative of current UK theft methods.
Features and Benefits of the FalcoPod-Cargo bike hangar:
- Size - Houses most non-standard bikes in half a car parking space.
- Cargo / adaptive bike option is available along with the e-cargo hire scheme.
- E-bikes – the FalcoPod has the option to integrate charging points for the latest e-bike designs.
- Family inclusive – with an ergonomically better designed space - the additional space/height means there is no need to remove child seats from the back of some bikes or baskets and seats on the front.
- Bike security – uses Sold Secure Gold Taurus Anchor points.
- Environmentally sustainable - manufactured from 100% recyclable hot-dip galvanised robust steel to BS EN ISO 1461.
- Colour options - the FalcoPod is delivered with a powder coated roof cladding to your specification, choose from any of the 192 RAL colours.
- Visibility – the hangar is fitted with highly reflective marine grade Solas tape to each corner of the frame.
- Personalise - the FalcoPod by adding logos, graphics, maps - the flat surface is much better able to receive graphics and vinyls than corrugated cladding.
- Safety - the FalcoPod has been successfully impact tested at 20mph to ensure it will withstand a low speed vehicular impact and is much more robust that current products for on-street use (see the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGGms4CnD7s&ab_channel=FalcoUKLtd).
- Security – meets Sold Secure Gold Bicycle standard.
- Meets European CPR Regulations EN 1090 for snow loading.
- Cladding – can be fitted with ‘solid’ sheet, pierced steel or mesh (standard) side cladding.
- Lock options – the FalcoPod accepts a number of futureproof locking options including:
- Latest high security anti-vandal lock.
- Master key (single key for all bike hangars).
- Electronic smart phone ‘App’ access option, please see our video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCg4MrHc-E&ab_channel=FalcoUKLtd - as mentioned the lock fitted to the FalcoPods is capable of being upgraded to the electronic version (rather than having to swap it out completely) if at some point you would wish to go to this option.
FalcoPod Bike Hangar for e-Bikes
A second segment of development is of course the growth in e-bike sales and here the FalcoPod borrows from other Falco products by providing either e-bike charging points and/or a secure battery charging store where the potentially unstable Lithium batteries can be deposited in a secure fire-proof charging locker. Already available on our FalcoCrea-Plus lockers, the addition of bike charging points is a natural response to this demand and is easily accomplished with the FalcoPod bike hangar.
Download the Wheels for Wellbeing ‘Guide to Inclusive Cycling’ here:
Download the Sustrans guide ‘Cycling for Everyone’ here:
E-bike Storage Solutions and the Green Deal
Falco welcomes the Government's recent ‘Green Industrial Revolution’ announcement, which has a key sustainable transport pledge: “Making cycling and walking more attractive ways to travel and investing in zero-emission public transport of the future”. This is coupled with an important extension of the e-bike incentive scheme with “additional funding being announced to extend e-bike hire schemes, which will allow those who are retired, studying, self-employed or looking for work to access the physical and health benefits of e-bikes." With the FalcoPod-Cargo (CargoPod) is design specifically for parking and storing cargo bikes in.
For more information about the FalcoPod-Cargo Bike Hangar please contact our helpful sales team on 01538 380080.