Bicycle Detection and Monitoring Systems
Bicycle detection and monitoring systems are designed to do a number of things:
- Assist traffic planners to determine appropriate infrastructure requirements.
- Enable cycle park managers to monitor the usage of their facilities (both occupancy and abandoned/long parked bikes).
- Provide cyclists with information on the availability of free spaces.
- Provide cyclists with directional signage to local facilities.
Each cycle parking facility is different and there is a myriad of cycle parking rack designs and Falco has a number of different bike detection technologies to address each individual situation, including:
- Optical Sensors
- Contact/contact free sensors
- Line of Sight Detectors
- RFID Detectors
Essentially bike detection and monitoring systems measure the usage of bikes within a cycle park and make this information available for either;
a) Analytical purposes e.g. usage % figures over a specific time frame, or
b) Informational purposes e.g. to provide such things as signage to direct users in a certain way or modify behaviour.